History of the Museum

The National Museum of History was established on 5 May 1973 by Decree No. 90 of the Council of Ministers. On 2 March 1984, the new representative exhibition was opened in the building of the Court of Justice on the occasion of the 1300-th anniversary of the Bulgarian state.
In 2000, the NMH shifted to a new location – Home 1 in the former Boyana residence, where on 10, November, 1989 the last communist leader was removed from power.

Directors of the Museum:

1. Prof. Dr. Strashimir Dimitrov – Jun. 1974 – 31 Dec. 1975
2. Emil Tsanov – 1 Jan. – 31 Aug. 1976
3. Acad. Prof. Dr. Vassil Gjuzelev – 1 Sep. 1976 – 31 Dec. 1977
4. Antcho Antchev – Jan. 1978 – Aug. 1983
5. Prof. Dr. Simeon Damjanov – Aug. 1983 – Oct. 1985
6. Assoc. Prof. Dr. Rumen Katincharov – Nov. 1985 – Dec. 1994
7. Assoc. Prof. Dr. Bojidar Dimitrov – Dec. 1994 – 1 Aug. 1998
8. Assoc. Prof. Dr. Ilya Prokopov – Aug. 1998 – Feb. 2001
9. Assoc. Prof. Dr.Teophana Matakieva-Lilkova – Feb. – Dec. 2001
10.Assoc. Prof. Dr. Bojidar Dimitrov – Dec 2001 – present